“The Valley of the Tombs of the Kings – the very name is full of romance, and of all Egypt’s wonders there is none, I suppose, that makes a more instant appeal to the imagination.”
– Howard Carter, Archaeologist.
Egypt: land of mystery and adventure. Here diligent archaeologists struggle to unearth Egypt’s great secrets without accidentally unleashing some of its deadliest curses. Tomb robbers plunder ancient treasures for their own profit. Spies work covertly to thwart enemy operations as the world plunges steadily toward war. Secret cults pursue their own agendas to preserve their country’s past and resurrect its former glory. The land once ruled by powerful pharaohs now languishes under the rule of dominant British administrators, merciless crime syndicates, devious spies, and darker forces manipulating the course of history.
This is the time for gritty adventure in a land where ancient ruins overlook squalid cities, peasant farmers mingle with wealthy Westerners, and global politics brush against religious nationalism. Everyone has their own selfish agenda. Everyone has their price.
This 176-page sourcebook contains material gamemasters can use to create pulp adventures in Egypt: general travel information, campaign themes, locations, gamemaster characters, and scenario ideas. Inside you’ll find:
- A “Visitors Guide to Egypt” suitable for orienting gamemasters and familiarizing players with common knowledge of the setting.
- A chapter filled with Egyptian exotica, all the mysterious places, supernatural occurrences, magical artifacts, and mythical beasts abounding with adventure ideas.
- A chapter for running each of three kinds of themed campaigns in Egypt – archaeology, espionage, and criminal – including a full campaign outline for each.
- Appendices detailing suitable character archetypes for pulp Egyptian campaigns, a random artifact generator system, and a list of book, film, and music resources to enhance your game.
This pulp-era sourcebook uses the Any-System Key to describe stats and difficulties in easily defined terms gamers can quickly customize to their favorite game engines. To use the information in this roleplaying game supplement you’ll need a copy of the Any-System Key (included) and your favorite roleplaying game system.
Looking for a free sample of Pulp Egypt adventure? Check out these free “pay-what-you-want” scenarios:
Praise for Pulp Egypt:
“THIS is how you write a sourcebook…. Well-researched, logically structured, informative without being pedantic, and written in a very professional – yet surprisingly easy-to-read – style.”
– Roger J. S., DriveThruRPG.com review
“This is one of those rarities in modern RPG publishing -- the kind of book that makes me smile, nod, and occasionally jump around in my seat in childlike delight.”
– S. John Ross, the Blue Room
“From what I’ve seen it’s a mighty impressive piece of work that covers Egypt 1933-39 superbly for gaming. Check it out!”
– Steve Long, Hero Games
“It’s a damn fine piece of work. I highly recommend it.”
– Colin Chapman, RPG Freelancer
“The sourcebook PDF is well worth the money; if you plan to set a campaign in Egypt, I’d call it a necessity.”
– Linwood, Exile Games forums
“I absolutely LOVE this book, and it is designed to be used with just about any game system.”
– Madwabbit, Exile Games forums
“Having gamed with Schweighofer, I recommend his products, especially the Egyptian ones.”
– Egyptoid, Hero Games forums